Saturday, June 8, 2013

Book Review. Miracle Cure by Harlan Coben.

I want to read all of Harlan Coben books...aiming to be like the biggest fan ever ! Because seriously, his books are simply amazing. They take me to a totally different world, a world of lies and deception - with justification! Coben's characters never deceive without reason, they always have an excellent reason for lying...for deceiving..for disappearing...and even for murdering!

'Miracle Cure' is Coben's second book after 'Play Dead' but it is my 8th or something...and to be fair, I have read this after books like 'Tell No One' and 'Gone For Good' so my review for the book may be a little biased. Nonetheless, it is an amazing book dealing with an excellent topic. This book is about a subject that was hot in its times, 1990s..it is a story about AIDS.

The basic plot - There's a group of doctors who are striving hard towards the treatment of AIDS, and now they are this close to finding the cure. What they need is funds towards this cause. The biggies and politicians are unwilling to direct money towards AIDS for reasons well-explained. There's a couple involved - a journalist and a basketball player - and now people are getting killed one after the other.

Controversies...lies...deception..murders..they just follow as the pages keep turning. What I really liked in the book besides the plot of course, are the dialogues that the two sides exchange. The group that wants to cure AIDS explains very nicely why it is necessary to remove this evil from the society. On the other hand, the politicians who look down upon AIDS and the people who suffer from them provide an excellent counter argument. I do not agree with the argument, but I definitely appreciate Coben's writing style which makes the reader empathize with both parties.

Amidst all my work, I finished this book in three days. To be honest, I would give this book 4/5 stars and not a complete 5 because I have read other Harlan Coben books and they are far far better. But for someone who has no other Coben book for comparison, he will enjoy this book for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment